Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What laptop would you recommend for my needs?

I am in the market for a new laptop. I need a laptop that is small enough to be carried around all day, every day while I wade through nursing school for a couple more years. It needs to be capable, obviously, of basic word/powerpoint work. But I also work in Illustrator as a hobby and am a moderate gamer. I would need it to be able to easily handle the vector image creation in Illustrator and MMO and RPG games at moderate to high graphical settings. My current games include Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, and when it comes out I'll be playing The Old Republic (yes, I am a Bioware fan).





I have been looking at the Alienware M11x, which is great in its capabilities, I am just concerned that it is going to be too small, particularly for my vector work (though that is the lowest priority on the list of needs). The M15x is way to big, though (nearly 10 lbs for that beast). I do have have a desktop as my primary gaming/vector computer, but with the amount of time I'll be spending at school I'd like to have moderate capabilities in these areas.





I guess my question is 2 parts:


1. Do you have experience with the M11x or equivalent sized laptop (11.6" 16:9 screen) and if so, is it comfortable enough for schoolwork/Illustrator work?


2. Do you have any other suggestions that will meet my needs?|||Before you dive into the alienware boat like I almost did, make sure you check out a sager reseller. I was all but sold on an m15x for my new computer, but went through http://www.xoticpc.com and found a sager laptop that offered more power for less money than the equivalent alienware. I ended up with a Sager NP8690 with a more powerful processor, and a better graphics card than the m15x for less money. The only thing sager can't compare to is the fancy lighting system of the alienwares, which in all honesty is a little silly for anyone wanting to be perceived as a professional. Service is impeccable, plus xoticpc offers lifetime tech support, which dell couldn't come close to.|||Omg yes you should get the m11x gaming netbook that thing looks really good :))

No comments:

Post a Comment