Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why is gameplay choppy on the PS3?

I know this has been asked over and over and over again, but most of these answers are BS. (Surprise, it's the internet, people don't know anything), but I've yet to find as sufficient answer, which is hard to believe since millions of these things have been sold, and the chances of -this- PS3 having something wrong with it are slim to none.





I have a 2010 model 1080p/120hz refresh rate TV, this model after a couple of minutes of searching, has no major display problems, it can handle blu-ray movies just fine along with seamless frame-rate on game-play mode when connected to my computer via high-speed HDMI playing Starcraft II (With Ultra settings 1080p display with 200+ units on screen). So it's not the TV, and it's not the HDMI cable I use.





My girlfriend bought me a PS3 (160 gig) for my birthday last month, along with a handful of games. Now, before I played anything, I like to play with all the settings, made my PSN account, etc.


I'll list all the display settings so you can get a more accurate description:


Video Output: HDMI


RGB Full Range (HDMI) Full


Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) On


Deep Color Output (HDMI) Automatic


The PS3 is constantly connected to high-speed internet (20-25 mb/s Download, 4-5 mb/s Upload speeds on average) via ethernet cable.


When the PS3 is on, it has a clearance of 1 foot in each direction, in a heavily air conditioned room (With the filters cleaned last month, so the fans couldn't have possibly clogged up already)





Now, with most games I get flawless gameplay, Infamous 2, MGS 4, etc.


But when I get to LA Noire, and Dragon Age (Original) [Yes I know, I'm really late, and it's a lot better on PC, but I saw it for 30 bucks and I never actually knew anything about the game, so I got it]


I get choppy gameplay. Now, I would understand if it was during heavy displays (A giant fire covering the screen... or let's say, a very demanding movie-esque cutscene), but this is literally while I'm driving down a mildly populated 4-lane avenue. Or, when I have 4 party members, and I'm simply walking through the forest (wilds). To be more specific, the screen jumps, for just a fraction of a second, and returns to normal = choppyness. And during this time, the frame-rate is lowered. It wouldn't bother me, if it was every-so-often, but it literally jumps every 3 seconds. When I stop moving, and turn the camera around, the frame-rate returns to normal.





Now, I realize the makers of these games make them for well-built custom gaming rigs, and water it down for the console versions, and during heavy fight scenes, or demanding visual effects, the console struggles to keep the display running on par, but what irritated me was the fact that it only needed Dragon Age to have a lake in the background for the screen to chop constantly. After 30 minutes or so, it gets a little unnerving.





So: My question is: Are these 2 games (LA Noire/Dragon Age) really too demanding for the PS3, or is there a known issue behind this? (Sometimes gameplay is choppy when connected to the internet, even though the game is single-player, or... the PS3 is allergic to newspapers, etc) Is there a certain display option that stresses the PS3's graphics capability (Which seems stupid for Sony to include these things for gameplay)? Are there other variables I've yet to take into consideration? Thanks for any information you've provided (even if you don't answer the question)





A little Misc. info: I've never stepped on, hit, banged, dropped, scratched or otherwise caused physical harm to the PS3 unit. It is laying down flat. All the games I've played on the PS3 are new, there were no scratches on the CDs. Both the TV and the PS3 check for firmware updates daily. I do not burn candles, or anything else in the same room as the PS3. I have no pet. It IS next to a broken 360.. so maybe I should move that in case of any bad mojo. I bought Dragon Age Ultimate edition, so it has all the content patches, and expansion pack (If there is a known issue there). When playing the PS3, I do have my TV on "Game-play" mode to maximize frames-per-second.





Please do not answer this question if:


You have no idea what you're talking about


If you think there are more than 2 types of HDMI cables (without ethernet/automotive)


If you're going to bash either the 360 or PS3


If you're going to advise me to get a Wii





Thanks again everyone.|||The choppiness is the games problem. Its usually the game developers fault for not taking the time to smooth out the frame per second. One great example of horrid choppy gameplay is Mafia II. It is horrible. Some games that are complete still have some chop to it but not as bad as others. So your doing nothing wrong it is the game that is at fault and the rush to put out the title which really shouldn't happen in some cases.



OH YEAH just so you know if you downloaded dragon age: origins they compress the game so it can be downloadable it may be the reason that it is choppy. Also I remember playing this on disc it was choppy when I played it on disc.|||Maybe there's a problem with your PS3, or have you patched the Dragon Age? I don't own the game but L.A Noire was very smooth, and I have an older, fat PS3.

No comments:

Post a Comment